Tuesday 7 February 2012

Ramblings re. Cooling

From: John
Sent: Tuesday, 7 February 2012 2:26 PM
To: JtC
Subject: Fan Shroud
I need to check it for myself, but it looks like the ’65 only had a shroud with the small block if it was air con (or “heavy duty cooling” optioned)…
http://www.impalas.net/forums/showpost.php?p=20135&postcount=17

John

From: JtC
Sent: Tuesday, 7 February 2012 2:17 PM
To: Driver, John
Subject: Re: Thanks!

Clutch fans certainly came later on. I honestly think we try source a fixed one for now, even if from a Holden wrecker - we can take the old pump with us to make sure it bolts up. Take fan too, to check diameter of blades.

Actually: you can buy good plastic multi blade units from Rare's, I put one on the Monaro.

Shroud? See if the plastic ones sold by Rare Spares are still avail- I also fitted one of these to the Munro. We will need to check radiator size against dad's HK's radiator... I think it's the same.
Sent from my CincoPhone



On 07/02/2012, at 1:57 PM, John wrote:
I have also done a bit of research (read asking Mr Chev Parts at Yennora) about fans, fan clutches and shrouds.

He didn’t think the ’65 came with a clutch fan, but couldn’t be sure.

A quick dig on the Impala Bob website didn’t come up with any clutch style fans so my guess is a simple mechanical fan w/o clutch.

I sooo don’t have the original fan…
http://www.impalas.com/1955-1966-bel-air-engine-fan-blade-4-blade-v8-6-cyl/bl225.html
But if mine was locked solid, you would think it would flow better than the one in the link.

Mr Yennora also checked to see if he had a shroud, but no luck there, even 2nd hand.

You can get them from Impala Bobs, but I am not sure the small block came with them standard…
http://www.impalas.com/1965-1966-impala-fiberglass-fan-shroud-283-327-small-block/170001.html

The listing for the big block shroud refers to it as “…a nice fiberglass reproduction of the original GM part…” but not so for the small block one.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment